RIDGLOK® insulation system was installed on a tank in Blytheville, AR. Blytheville is located just north of Memphis, TN near the Tennessee-Arkansas state line. The system was installed to protect the facility’s wet sprinkler system, an above-ground storage tank was required to hold fire protection water.
Once erected and hydro-tested, such a tank in warmer climates is typically complete. However, in Blytheville, AR, winter temperatures fall well below freezing, and an uninsulated tank presents several issues for the owner, such as:
- Ice build-up within the tank
- Frozen water lines
- No access to emergency fire protection water supply
- Energy waste from the tank heater
- Not meeting NFPA 22 freeze protection codes section 16.1-16.5.
How was RidgLok® Selected?
In colder regions, storage tanks for fire protection require tank heaters. Without proper insulation, the cost of heating these tanks is prohibitive. NFPA 22 codes section 16.1-16.5 permit the use of tank insulation to CONSERVE energy. The storage tank manufacturer trusts RIDGLOK®’s long history of protecting fire protection tanks. Having used RIDGLOK®’s Vertical Standing Seam Panel Insulation System on projects for many years, they have complete confidence in this newer technology which is rapidly overtaking conventional insulation systems. They ultimately selected RIDGLOK®’s Vertical Standing Seam Insulation (VSSI) system because of past history, competitive price, and their long-standing experience working with RIDGLOK® insulation panels.
The manufacturer’s project manager knew he could rely on the system for:
- Quality thermal protection
- Speed of installation
- Safety of installation
- Low maintenance of the insulation system
- Long life of the insulation system
- High wind resistance
- Structural connections sealed against weather
- High level of corrosion protection against CUI (corrosion under insulation)
- Color Matching the facility’s color scheme
- Easy fast repairs
- Expansion/contraction built naturally into the system (no bands to be periodically checked and tightened)
- Quality resulting from panels pre-manufactured to specification
This RIDGLOK® Vertical Standing Seam Panel Insulation System was manufactured at the MC&I facility in Reed, KY for installation on a 22’ D x 17’ H fire water storage tank with a straight roof panel design. The tank shell and roof materials consist of a 2” Polyisocyanurate insulation board R-Value of 13.1. Insulation is laminated to stucco embossed 0.024 x 24” W aluminum metal jacketing at our facility prior to installation. Also, the RIDGLOK® straight roof design and flashing system minimized potential corrosion points contributing to the overall performance of the system.
Upon completion of the project, the inspector stated:
“All work was completed satisfactorily and would recommend RIDGLOK® Panel Systems in the future.”
The client now enjoys:
- Lower Energy bills
- An aesthetically pleasing tank that complements the facility
- 1-year warranty and a Lifespan of 25+ years of thermal protection