The insulation was needed on an above-ground storage tank at a gold mine, in Carlin, NV. These particular tanks hold chilled water during periods of off-peak electrical demand when rates are lower, and the water is collected in a thermal energy storage (TES) tank.
Insulation was required on these two ground storage tanks in order to maintain an adequate chilled operating temperature year-round. These tanks are designed to cool the water by mechanical chillers using lower-cost off-peak energy demand, the chilled water is distributed through the facility during peak energy demand. This process lowers energy costs by reducing power consumption. Insulating the TES tank further increases energy savings by retaining the chilled temperatures within the tank. RIDGLOK® Insulation will PREVENT heat gain to benefit the Thermal Energy Storage Tank.
How Was RIDGLOK® Selected?
The storage tank manufacturer trusts RIDGLOK®’s long history of protecting and insulating storage tanks.
The manufacturer’s project manager knew he could rely on the system for:
- Quality thermal protection
- Speed of installation
- Safety of installation
- Low maintenance of the insulation system
- Long life of the insulation system
- High wind resistance
- Structural connections sealed against weather
- High level of corrosion protection against CUI (corrosion under insulation)
- Color Matching the facility’s color scheme
- Easy fast repairs
- Expansion/contraction built naturally into the system (no bands to be periodically checked and tightened)
- Quality resulting from panels pre-manufactured to specification
This RIDGLOK® Vertical Standing Seam Panel Insulation System was manufactured at the MC&I facility in Reed, KY for installation on 67’ x 24’ tall and a 57.5’ x 24’ tall chilled water storage tanks with straight roof panel designs. The tank’s shell and roof materials consist of a 2” Polyisocyanurate insulation board R-Value of 13.1. Insulation is laminated to stucco embossed 0.024 x 24” W aluminum metal jacketing at our facility prior to installation. Also, the RIDGLOK® straight roof design and flashing system minimized potential corrosion points contributing to the overall performance of the system.
Despite frigid temperatures and wintery weather, our install crew was able to complete the job in a timely manner on schedule.
Upon completion of the project, the construction manager stated that the work was completed satisfactorily and that he would recommend both the RIDGLOK® Panel System and the MC&I Installation Crew to others.
The client now enjoys:
- Lower Energy bills
- An aesthetically pleasing tank that complements the facility
- 1-year warranty and a Lifespan of 25+ years of thermal protection